The Montgomery County chapter of the Maryland Writers’ Association and Montgomery Magazine have teamed up to create a new short-form writing contest exclusively for Montgomery County residents.
Submit your previously unpublished fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry for the chance to win $250 and publication in Montgomery Magazine. Runners-up will receive $100 and have their work published on montgomerymag.com.
Entries will be accepted between April 1 and Aug 15, 2017. Winners will be announced in November with publication to follow. One winner and one runner-up will be chosen from each category. Entry to the contest is free.
So, come on, county residents. Show us your creative side and we’ll show the world just how well Montgomery Writes!
- Contestants must be Montgomery County residents.
- Entries must be no longer than 2,000 words.
- Categories are fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry.
- Up to 3 poems may be submitted per entry but may not run longer than 2,000 words combined.
- Each person may submit two entries.
- Entries should be previously unpublished.
- Entries may be excerpted from a longer work as long as the piece stands on its own.
- There is no entry fee.
Please read these guidelines carefully. Entries that do not follow these guidelines will not be considered for the contest.
- Submit your work as an attachment via email to Katherine Melvin at email@example.com.
- Include the words “Writing Contest” and the genre of your piece in the subject line.
- In the body of the email, include your name, address, and phone number, the title of the work, the category, and the word count.
- Up to two entries may be submitted per person.
- Entries should be in Microsoft Word, double-spaced, using a 12-point standard font (Times New Roman, Calibri, Courier, or Arial).
- Include the title of your work on each page of the document. We use blind judging, so please do not include your name in the document.
Eligibility and Rights
Contestants must be Montgomery County residents. Please include your current address in your email submission.